Sunday, February 7, 2016

Getting Back to The Things That I Love.

I was trying to be fancy and put my drink in a wine glass.
This weekend was really laid back. I spent time cleaning, reflecting, and practicing the art of self care. I am really trying to be very gentle with myself these days as I struggle with anxiety. I am finding that anxiety for me means that I need to let go of some things that no longer fit into my life. It could be my thought patterns, negative self-talk, and engaging in conversations that really disturb my inner peace  and throw me off  balance. I am reminded that anytime I have an anxiety attack it is time for me to get back to things and people that I love, and to do the things that bring me absolute joy.

Last weekend I went to the local farmer's market and saw that there was fresh sorrel on sale. I've never seen fresh sorrel, only the dried leaves so I was extremely excited. When I think of sorrel I think of a nice cold glass spiked with rum or ginger beer during the holidays. My Ummi makes this delicious concoction every year however, I've never made it myself so I thought I would give it a try. Drinking sorrel always puts me in a great frame of mind because it automatically takes me to New York City and the delicious smells that are associated with the holidays.
Sorrel Leaves

My good friend Afya Ibomu who is a holistic nutritionist gifted me with her book the Vegan Remix! A Soulful Spin on World Cuisine. This book has an awesome recipe for "Sorrel Sizzurp" so, I used her recipe to make this wonderful, lightly sweetened, spiced just right liquid deliciousness.

The type of sorrel that I used is a Jamaican sorrel which is not considered a true sorrel. True sorrel is a leafy green similar to spinach (I have never tried this). Sorrel has many benefits:

It can be used as a diuretic, blood thinner, or to help decrease blood pressure.Sorrel is high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

For the "Sorrel Sizzurp" recipe check out Afya's book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Vegan-Remix-Afya-Ibomu/dp/0983143714


No comments:

Post a Comment