Monday, November 11, 2013

Meet Ebony Love……Southern Hip-Hop Soul Singer!


"The Anti-Toxin is Here!" ~Ebony Love

"To touch people through song, words, expression, to be the other option. To bring balance, feed and lift spirits, to be medicine..sugar coated medicine for the world. I'm the Anti Toxin!" Ebony Love


A few  months ago I was hanging out after work with a friend at Cloud IX on Peters Street in the Castleberry Hill section of Atlanta. Everybody at the spot was going nuts over Kendrick Lamar’s verse on the Big Sean track Control. “Real Hip-Hop is back….He murdered the track” was what people were saying as the song played. I was thinking to myself this is how music is supposed to make you feel all of the time. I am all about music that stirs up strong emotions in the people listening to it. It was a good day for Hip-Hop! After having a bite to eat I decided to take a stroll in the neighborhood to see what else was going on and I came across another event taking place. I took a peek inside and realized that it was a music showcase featuring female artists called Hip Hop in High Heels. So me being me I wanted to hear more! I went inside and started asking who was on stage.  The singer was so pretty and had a real cool vibe.I never heard her music before so I started asking around about the performer. That night must have been my lucky night because I started chatting with her producer D.J. Burn One! I am a big Yelawolf fan so I recognized his name immediately and ironically I follow him on Instagram. He informed me that the singer on stage was his artist Ebony Love. I took a few photos with him and left.  As I was walking to my car I saw Ebony Love sitting outside relaxing and my usually shy self told her that I really enjoyed her showcase and that I wanted to write about her performance and her music. She wanted to know more about Femme Noire Atl and what  I write about. She was so sweet and had great energy! That night I went home and listened to anything that I could find by Ebony Love.

Singer songwriter and Atlanta native Ebony Love is on fire; she has written songs  and has been featured on tracks with some of  the music industry’s hottest rappers such as Lil' Wayne,Rick Ross, Gorilla Zoe, Gucci Mane, Young Joc, 2 Chainz ,8 Ball and Trina just to name a few.  Ebony love describes herself as “A bridge. A bridge between the races, classes, and generations.”  That explains her ability to work with so many artists but still maintain her own unique style and sound.   Her single “Jezebel Wins” is a powerful  track with  a strong message for girls that want to be  so called “Bad B’s”. She totally deconstructs the myth that being a Bad B is glamorous!  The song describes the harsh reality of the way women are treated when they disrespect themselves trying to impress men in the music industry.
Ebony Love was nice enough to take out time to talk to my readers about her journey and her music.



What inspires you to write?

The world is my muse. I'm a people lover. I absorb and gather inspiration from real life situations or even from a look in a stranger’s eyes. I write a lot about my own life and the journey that I’m on. I write about what others may be thinking, but are afraid to say. I also am inspired by the illusion of life. I write to make people think, not necessarily to think like I think but to think for themselves and not take things at face value based on tradition or, habit. My music is a firsthand account of mind states and mindsets. I find inspiration in honesty. Being able to express myself freely; my fears, my doubts,  my questions, my confusion, my love, my lust, my desires and feelings. The music itself always is a major inspiration. The music itself has a voice, words yet unspoken. I listen to what it is saying and translate it into melody and lyrics.



Femme Noire Atl. Was created to uplift, motivate, and inspire. I suffered from anxiety and depression at one point in my life until I found meditation and yoga. My readers are also looking for ways to lead a more peaceful and balanced life. How do you find Zen with such a hectic schedule?

My daily Zen pill—
“I find peace in accepting, just letting go, and letting things be. Just being able to say you know what? Fu**k it!!!  Mainly it’s the knowledge that what is supposed to be will be. Knowing God is in control….now mind you this is and will be an ongoing exercise; this finding peace thing!! It’s a daily thing….challenge by challenge. I heard it gets easier with practice! I have to remind myself of this daily.
Once in the middle of an anxiety attack, I ran outside for some fresh air and sunshine in my backyard and next thing you know I was searching for four leaf clovers.  Next thing you know I was gathering one of all the different classifications of wild flowers in my backyard and discovering ALL of the different textures of moss back there. I had forgotten about whatever it was that I was stressing over.
If you look on my Instagram you will see some pics of me climbing trees and hanging upside down from tree limbs. That was another day I needed some emergency ZEN. I hadn't been in a tree in years. A totally spontaneous gesture... and it worked! BIIIIIG FUN too!! I guess my spirit knows that nature is a healer.

Other than that I go to this Rock Preserve by my house. I climb a big rock, get up there real high. I talk to the trees and nature and sip wine!! Come down…Climb another boulder then I do it all again!”
When can we expect your solo project?
“My solo project is called The Black Box. It's kinda dark …mystic… I'm waiting to release it this fall.” 



To read Ebony’s full bio, discography, and see more photos click the link: